Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pilaf

Yesterday I had a lovely meal of something that was like a tasty and not chemically conceived version of rice-a-roni. I finally pulled out my potlatch pilaf mix of grains which I had visions of filling roasted bell peppers with until I realized bell peppers were spendy, and cooked it up. Easy, yes. Tasty, yes. Would have been better with some ingredients I don’t have like mushrooms and chicken and tomato, yes.


Adapted from Bluebird Farms
Potlatch Pilaf

½ cup of rice/grain mix (if you aren’t shopping local you’re best bet would be a wild or long grained rice)
1 small onion
½ tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 ¼ cup water
Basil, oregano, and salt to preference

Brown diced onion and rice in skillet with some olive oil, for 3 to 5 minutes. Then add in garlic clove finely diced and water. Simmer for 45 minutes. Take off heat and add basil, oregano, and salt. Let stand 10 minutes and eat.


As a side note, the anthropology of food class I’m doing this for had the excellent taste to feed us a delightful meal that I have no memory of most of the ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. Yaaaay, Tomilyn! That onion looks gorgeous. KEEP COOL.

    ReplyDelete