Friday, July 24, 2009

The Last Supper, pt 2



Until very recently I have never really made soup. Besides the kind that comes in cans, and even then I was never a huge fan. So it is with more than a little trepidation that I started making this squash soup, but it just seemed so colorful and fun that how could I not?
While the bread was resting, I began to chop up all my ingredients to prepare.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Summer Squash Soup

½ onion, diced
2 sticks of carrots, thinly sliced
2 pounds of yellow squash (I used sunburst), halved and thinly sliced
1 potato (it was supposed to be yellow fleshed, but I just used russet), thinly sliced
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 cups chicken broth


Brown the onions by sautéing them with the butter and salt, about 8 minutes. Onions, by the way, are super tasty but make me cry and I spent the vegetable part of this evening by the window before returning for only a couple of chops, before going back to the window. (Side note, these squash are perhaps the most adorable ingredients I have ever worked with)


Once the onions are ready add everything else, and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 20 minutes covered. Remove from heat and uncover, and then take out your blender. In batches, puree the soup, use caution. Return to pot, thin with water and/or season with salt, then simmer for another three minutes. And there you go, soup!




On top of this soup, of course, is something else very tasty. Which I’m glad for, because by itself the soup is a little bland for me.




Still adapting from Smitten Kitchen
Pistou

¾ cup loosely packed basil leaves
½ cup loosely packed parsley sprigs
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water
¼ tablespoon salt
1 dash paprika
1 clove garlic (finely diced)




The original recipe called for mint leaves, not basil, but I wanted to work with what I already had in my garden. Add the basil and parsley, puree in a blender, add everything else. Spoon a little in a swirl over each bowl of soup, pretty and tasty. And, according to my family, it was unbelievable that the soup did not contain cream.


Seen here with the homemade bread

No comments:

Post a Comment