Monday, July 27, 2009

Honey, Thyme, and Blackberry Granita



I miss dessert also. Besides my cravings for butter and chocolate, I miss that right now? I’m not eating one of those five desserts I had last week. Tonight I had my friend Eunice, who is leaving sadly for law school in a whole different state for away next week, over. I haven’t been able to bake for her before because she doesn’t do dairy products, and granite seemed like just the thing on this hot summer day. Only I don’t have sugar, so I was pretty nervous about how this would taste.
Having been inspired by Fat of the Land, we went out and foraged some blackberries. Most aren’t ripe, but we picked the handful that were.


Adapted from Food Down Under, just barely
Blackberry and thyme granita

2 cups fresh picked blackberries (local)
¼ cup honey (local)
3 cups water (local)
2 sprigs thyme (local)

Wash the blackberries thoroughly, put them in a saucepan and pour honey over them. Then cover with the water and start to boil, add the thyme and keep boiling for a couple of minutes. Then pour into a glass pan so that the mixture is half an inch thick. Wait for it to cool down and then place in the freezer. Every half hour mix with a fork to keep the ice crystals coarse, granite is a sort of ice shaved creation.

Just a few more weeks and these will all be ripe!

No comments:

Post a Comment