Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tortillas purposely not storebought

In trying to convince my sister (and roommate) to switch grocery stores, her primary protest was that they didn’t sell tortillas. Which is of course a downside, but nothing that a quick search through the Homesick Texan’s blog couldn’t remedy. The recipe seemed simple enough, I already had all the ingredients and everything. Until of course, I realized that even after having my own kitchen for an entire year, I still don’t own a rolling pin.



I thought about using my pasta maker to roll it out, and have rectangle tortillas, but fortunately my friend Ilana was stopping by to deliver my third(!!!) birthday cake of the week, and I convinced to come over for dinner and bring by her rolling pin.



I thought about using my pasta maker to roll it out, and have rectangle tortillas, but fortunately my friend Ilana was stopping by to deliver my third(!!!) birthday cake of the wake, and I convinced to come over for dinner and bring by her rolling pin.
Adapted from the Homesick Texan
Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of canola oil
3/4 and 1 tablespoon cups of warm milk
Makes 8 tortillas on the small side
Mix everything but milk together, and then slowly mix in warm milk (it was never thin enough to really whisk so I just used my hands). Knead for two minutes, dough should be pretty firm and pliable. Place in bowl and cover with damp cloth for twenty minutes.
Break dough into eight balls, and then cover those for an additional ten minutes. Roll out each ball and cook it on a skillet heated to high for about 30 seconds on each side. As you can see, my first try I forgot to constantly stand over it and it got pretty burnt, but was still awesome.








These were pretty irregularly shaped, but that is much more my inability to roll out dough than any fault on the recipe. On the whole, wonderful. I made myself a sort of quesadilla with mozzarella and sprinkled basil, oregano, rosemary, and parsley on it. My sister Alli and Ilana made traditional tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment