Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pickled Carrot Sticks

I don’t really like carrots. I’m still getting over my childhood aversion to anything that seems like it might be remotely healthy to me (the last time I ate a carrot it had more ranch on it than carrot), but these make my Mom ridiculously happy and are also ridiculously easy to make. A win win situation for everyone.
This is the third time making them, and my first with baby carrots (which apparently are grown less healthy?), for an appetizer to my pre-Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Since I didn’t have to peel the carrots it took me about one minute of prep time and however long it takes liquid to boil to make this. It really doesn’t get much easier.

Pickled Carrot Sticks
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 cup cider vinegar (or ½ cup normal vinegar and cider each)
¼ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoon dill weed
1 ½ tablespoon salt
2 garlic cloves slightly crushed
1 ¼ cup water
1 pound carrots





Peel and then quarter carrots, if using baby carrots simply halve them to make thinner sticks. Place in Tupperware container that will fit in your fridge. Boil remaining ingredients, then bring to simmer for two minutes. Pour over carrots, let cool, stick in fridge. Eat after 24 hours, keeps for a month.

1 comment: